Tuesday, March 13, 2012

5K Here I Come!

I was posed a challenge by the women on my church board. Run the 5K in Indiana for our conference. Because I'm young they think that constitutes a runner - LOL - I'm not a runner. My personality however can not withstand a good challenge. So 2 months ago I started training to run a 5K using the Couch to 5K program - which is great and I had 2 great coaches - my kids! You start off alternating between walking and running the 3.1 miles. Which brings another thought why do they call it a 5K when it's only 3.1 miles (I'm sure there's a good mathematical kilometer answer to this question) - I'm not a mathematician either.
So after using the couch program I decided it was time to put my training to the test. I entered a local hometown race. I finished in 33 minutes and 32 seconds my best time to date. I won the 1st place trophy in my age division. Let me tell you though, there were only 2 of us running in that age division - SMILE!
It felt so good to finish and I'm looking forward to running that race in Indiana - bring on the 5K! It's never to late to start a new goal, the feeling of the moment may surprise you.
Link to couch to 5K program  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment